For Immediate Release
Nov. 2, 2009
Contact: Daphne Larkin
Norwich University volunteers give to local community on Alumni National Day of Service
NORTHFIELD, Vt. (Nov. 2, 2009) – Norwich University and the NU Club of Central Vermont will dedicate Saturday, Nov. 7, to community service in seven different sites throughout the region as part of the first NU Alumni National Day of Service.
Over 80 students, faculty, staff and alumni will give time to one of these sites:
• VT Food Bank: Volunteers will sort food for the Foodbank while earning purchasing credits for CERV, our Northfield Food Shelf.
• VT Cross Trail: Volunteers will be continuing to build a section of the trail in East Montpelier by hand, using no motorized equipment.
• Dog River Clean-up and Invasive Species Removal along the river
• Paine Mountain Clean-up
• Thatcher Brook Primary School: Volunteers will help to build Adventure Course/school playground.
• Northfield Conservation Commission: Volunteers will help to build a lean-to at the top for hikers.
• Habitat for Humanity: Volunteers will help to renovate a home in Orange.
That day the nation’s oldest private military college and birthplace of ROTC will launch its first ever coordinated national day of service with alumni clubs across the country.
“I’m very excited to see this idea come to fruition,” said Nicole DiDomenico, director of NU’s Center for Civic Engagement. “A dedication to serving others before selves is what bridges all of our students – current students and alums, civilian and military, American and international. The choice of incorporating service to others into one’s lifestyle has been a common thread among all NU community members and I believe, truly a unique and a distinguishing characteristic of our alums.”
On Nov. 7 11 alumni clubs located across the country will give time to their local communities.
Here’s a sampling of other events going on across the country:
• 3 Fisher Houses are being adopted (MD and DC Clubs) – we’ll be giving them a good scrubbing and providing bagged lunches for the residents heading out to medical appointments
• The Philadelphia Veteran’s Community Living Center will be enjoying a great lunch and afternoon of bingo thanks to the NU Club of the Delaware Valley
• Toys will be collected for the children of deployed troops in the Hudson Valley of New York and the Boston area
• Books will be collected for Operation Paperback in the Boston area and for the local VFW Book Drive in Central Florida
• An amazing care package is going to be put together for the NU Club of Iraq compliments of the NU Club of the Hudson Valley
• The San Antonio, TX Foodbank will get extra sets of hands thanks to the San Antonio Club
• Extra money will be raised to combat drunk driving and drug use at Wakefield High School in Raleigh, NC
• The Upper Valley Club will be partnering with the Upper Valley Vet Center to host the Mobile Vet Center (MVC) in White River Junction. Veterans will be invited to come out for support, counseling and advice provided by the MVC while Norwich students and alumni will provide food, warmth and listening ears.
National Day of Norwich Service - Central Vermont Chapter
Saturday, November 7, 2009
7:30 am - Meet up at Norwich University, Milano Ballroom
8:00 am - Carpools will disperse to the project of your choice
Afterwards we'll gather together again for some food and to share the stories of our service.
For more information or to register contact:
Nicole DiDomenico, director of NU’s Center for Civic Engagement, at 802-485-2670 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Norwich University is a diversified academic institution that educates traditional-age students and adults in a Corps of Cadets and as civilians. Norwich offers a broad selection of traditional and distance-learning programs culminating in Baccalaureate and Graduate Degrees. Norwich University was founded in 1819 by Captain Alden Partridge of the U.S. Army. Norwich University is the oldest private military college in the United States of America and the birthplace of our nation's Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC).